Skip to main content
Back to top
- Decide on a product name.
- Determine applicable regulatory requirements. Ask your state regulatory officials for help or contact NYS FVC. Consult the FDA Food Labeling Guide.
- Determine what storage information must be on your package: refrigerate, refrigerate after opening, etc.
- Choose a size and shape which is compatible with your packaging.
- Invest as much in your labels as possible. They are the first thing customers will see.
- Make test labels, or labels for small, initial, batches, on a computer printer to cut costs.
- Decide if you wish to make health claims. If you do, you must have nutritional analysis done and invest the time and money for FDA compliant nutrition labeling.
- Decide whether or not to invest in a bar code. The registry fee is $500, but most large stores and chains will not consider your product without one. If you do not plan to sell to large distributors, you don’t need one.