Part of the US Department of Health and Human Services
What they do:
- Protect American consumers by enforcing the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and related public health laws.
- Jurisdiction over domestic and imported food sold in interstate commerce, including shell eggs, bottled water, wine beverages with less than 7 percent alcohol , but not meat and poultry
- Sets labeling standards for food products
- Inspects and approves food products for wholesomeness and safety
- Develops codes and interpretations of regulations for use by business and state regulatory agencies.
- Develops Good Manufacturing Practices, HACCP, and other production standards
- May request a recall of unsafe food products
- Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN): Promotes public health by making sure that food is safe, nutritious and wholesome, and cosmetics are safe; food and cosmetics are honestly, accurately and informatively labeled.
Regional FDA offices are located in the blue pages of the phone book.
FDA’s Outreach and Information Center: