US Small Business Administration (SBA)
What they do:
- Offer a variety of programs through which small businesses can secure loans from bank. The loans are guaranteed by the SBA but administered by the lending institution.
- SBA Small Business Development Centers (SBDC): business owners receive technical advice for managing their business.
- Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs): privately owned and operated companies which supply equity capital, long term loans and management assistance to qualifying small businesses.
- Specialized SBICs (SSBIC): provide assistance solely to small businesses owned by socially or economically disadvantaged persons.
- Women's Business Centers (WBCs): home-based businesses, corporate executive downsizing and welfare-to-work with emphasis on concerns of women in small business.
Women's Business Center Contact:
Phone: (202) 205-6673
List of Women's business organization links: http://www.onlinewbc.org/womens_business.html
Business Startup Center: http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-content/1/2895